I intend for this site to both showcase and enable my writing practice. Read the current attempt to explain what I mean by that. To get the latest writings, subscribe to the RSS feed. (RSS?) To get irregular roundups, subscribe to my email newsletter.
Blog posts that I'm rather pleased with or that I'd like to draw your attention to.
- Thoughts on The Social DilemmaNetflix's documentary on the dangers of the surveillance capitalism industry gives me hope amongst the Lovecraftian dread of social media.
- Revising the 1972 ProjectMaking sense of how we make sense of the present by looking the events of 50 years ago.
- We desperately need social media literacy or the fascists will winMy irregular polemic on the social media and its problems returns.
- History is constantly being "erased", and that's OK.Critiquing the statue "debate" by examining what we mean by history and heritage.
- Marching against racism in BirminghamConnecting the current #BLM protests with marches since the 1960s. (On the Walkspace blog)
- Walking Weird BritainI review the Weird Walk zine by looking how the concept of "weird" has been used to explore this country. (On the Walkspace blog.)
- Last week a jigsaw saved my lifeLike many people, I discovered the joy of jigsaws during lockdown.
- Good composition is ideologically fraughtCropping someone out of a photo for aesthetic reasons is a dangerous game.
- Pretty TraumaThe seductive horrorshow of the Handmaid's Tale.
- Ars Electronic 2017A report from the international digital arts festival in Linz, Austria commissioned by New Art West Midlands.
- My new camera is a laserCommissioned for Knowle West Media Centre's 20th anniversary publication.
Writing to see what happens when I write.
- Exeunt CorbynJeremy Corbyn has left the Labour Party.
- Heritage Socialism – a working definitionFirst stab at defining a term I came up with and think is worth developing.
- Dome UpWe built a geodesic dome in the back garden and it is awesome.
- Economics and EpidemiologyThe pandemic has shown us how a lot of things we took for granted actually work.
- Photographs as dataA rough draft at introducing the base concepts for machine learning and image recognition.
- The Practice of WordsI've been thinking about how I can run my websites to best serve my writing.
- Insomnia Journal 07 May 20Lancing a festering boil about the government's ineptitude.